Thursday, September 07, 2006

Blogging instead of mailing

I've recently discovered that blogging isn't all hype. Sometimes it makes sense to publish certain things to the world instead of sending it to one person. I don't expect the whole world to be interested in it. I don't mind if friends of friends or even total strangers read it. I just want to be able to share my life with people who I can't visit as often as I like.

I'm terrible at keeping up with correspondence via email. When new stuff happens in my life, I never email my friends. When I eventually see them they always say "I didn't know that you *insert new info here*! You never told me that! Why don't you call me you lazy sod, what, are your fingers broken so that you can't hold a phone, type an email or even pick up a pen?!?!" or something along those lines.

I don't know who to mail, or who to call, or when to do it! Sometimes people phone me, and I really really want to hear from them, but it's a bad time to talk and I have to let them go and I feel like a total jackass! Well no more. If I really want to have a conversation with someone in particular and it's so hard to match our schedules, then I should mail them and schedule a call! If I've got some news, and I want all my friends to know it, then I should send it to them! Thats what I think this blog should be for!

I don't think this blog replaces email. I don't think it makes up for my lousy correspondence skills. I don't think everyone will like this idea as much as I do. But blogging makes me feel better, and hopefully will be something that motivates me to make more of an effort to keep in touch with all the people I never wanted to lose touch with.


Mike

No comments: